DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Reporting directly to the Mayor of the City of Grambling, the Public Works Director is a full-time exempt position that shall manage the department staff, plan, and manage the department’s budget, and the daily and seasonal operations of the Public Works Department. The Director is responsible for updates, improvements, and maintenance of the City’s mapping of streets, gutters, sidewalks, underground collection and distribution systems (sewer and water), and storm drains. Provides technical support to Public Works Staff and Contractors relative to infrastructure activities; and participates in the short- and long-range identification, planning, and development of City infrastructure to meet current and future City needs and services. Plan and manage the Department’s budget, and the daily and seasonal operations of the Public Works Department.
The responsibilities of the Director of Public Works include:
- Manage all the functions and activities of the Public Works Department, including budgets and staff for Custodial, Garbage/Waste pickup, City Park/Grounds, Streets, and Water/Wastewater Management
- Collaborate with the City Hall staff responsible for the billing of City Water and Wastewater
- Responsible for the safety of all public works staff and ensuring that the staff is properly trained on specific job tasks, annual evaluations are performed, and staff are following best work practices
- Developing, implementing, and supervising preventative maintenance and renovation programs for Public Works facilities, and City Buildings.
- Keeping all public survey records of the streets and public grounds for the City of Grambling.
- Be responsible for the implementation of workplace safety standards and practices within all City of Grambling facilities and City Construction/work zones.
- Maintain records and documents research pertaining to lands and /or utilities owned by the City of Grambling.
- Advancing the Public Works Department in a technically current, proficient, and competent manner, including the development of new policies and procedures as appropriate for the Public Works Department.
- Maintain records, mapping, and documentation for utility or project activities conducted by the Public Works Department and Consultants/Contractors hired in any Public Works capacity.
- Directs, schedules, and oversees External Contractors related to public works operations or projects.
- Researches any grant opportunities and applies for grants when the city meets the criteria.
- Document and monitor the annual review process for all Capital Equipment and the disposal process for retired equipment.
- Local travel may be required between facilities, construction projects, residents’ properties, and meetings.
- Prepares specifications for physical plant projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials, labor, and supplies; prepares bid specifications for projects, equipment, and contracted services; oversees site and building projects performed by outside contractors.
- Contributes to strategic planning by evaluating and projecting future needs and proposing options to achieve them.
- Other job-related duties as required.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
KEY SKILLS and COMPETENCIES
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, ability to work under pressure, and be a fast learner.
- Ability to work as a contributing member of a work team or environment
- Knowledgeable about the hazards and safety precautions common to street maintenance, water, and wastewater operation, lifting objects, working around vehicles and equipment, including basic electrical safety.
- Working knowledge of equipment maintenance and repair functions.
- Ability to create and explain written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- The ability to procure, work with, and/or manage consultants and contractors performing contract work for the City
- The ability to perform as a Project Manager for oversight of the Consultant Led design and construction of municipal infrastructure projects.
- The ability to prepare specifications for physical plant projects; estimates costs of equipment, materials, labor, and supplies; prepare bid specifications for projects, equipment, and contracted services; oversee site and building projects performed by outside contractors.
- The experience and ability to respond and provide recommendations to resolve immediate threats and a plan to avoid reoccurring Public Works challenges
- Proficiency with MS Office 365, Teams, and related office and utility software for Public Works.
- The ability to learn new software related to the position as well as make recommendations for new software or processes related to the operation of the Public Works department.
- Must be Customer Centered in the delivery of all services
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor or Associates Degree in civil engineering or related discipline from an accredited institution and five years of progressively responsible public works, streets, and utilities design and/or construction experience, at least four of which were at a supervisory level, or a suitable combination of demonstrated work experience and progressive responsibility to have acquired the above skills leadership skills with staff oversight.
- A combination of demonstrated training, education, and work experience to have acquired solid experience (5 years) in the maintenance and/or development, implementation, and project management of public works, streets, municipal utilities (water, sewerage, and drainage systems), and municipal infrastructure projects
- Personnel supervisory and management skills and experience training and evaluations preferred.
- Ability to work independently as well as give directives and delegate authority.
- Uses a methodical approach to solving problems and records and explains it relating to public works operations in the completion of the work.
- Alignment with the City of Grambling’s values of Community, Friendly and Professional Service, Fiscal Responsibility, Teamwork, Integrity, and Innovation.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
SALARY RANGE AND BENEFITS
Competitive Salary and Benefits
APPLICATION & BACKGROUND CHECK
The Position is open until filled.
Click on the link for the application https://forms.office.com/r/AJbfwwCfHJ
This position requires the completion of a Background Check https://forms.office.com/r/utPWXCh7Bj
Email: [email protected]
City of Grambling
127 King Street
Grambling, LA 71245
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
The City of Grambling expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of the City of Grambling’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change if goals and priorities shift.
Posted in Employment Opportunity