The Public Works Supervisor is a highly responsible position that will help or assist in planning, organizing, and implementing the City’s Public Works capabilities; provide professional assistance to the Mayor, Public Works Director, and elected officials in the areas of street maintenance and repair. Also performs related administrative duties and oversees all operational areas including city park, sanitation, grounds, buildings, landscape maintenance and development, public work projects, and storm sewer and drain systems. Per personnel policy, the Public Works Supervisor is classified as an hourly full-time position and is sometimes expected to work as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, and directs all aspects of departmental operations and personnel. Develops preventive maintenance schedules, determines work priorities, and ensures work is completed according to schedule and within department standards of quality.
- Implements strategies with city officials to properly maintain and enhance city infrastructure, including streets, roads, bridges, signage, and open spaces.
- Supervises daily maintenance and sanitation activities and coordinates with contractors, including building maintenance, stormwater catch basin maintenance, litter control, mowing and landscape maintenance, street sweeping, garbage, and small limb removal.
- Acts as department spokesperson, establishing and maintaining effective relationships with the public, areas businesses, City officials, and other employees and administrators.
- Works with City employees in the preparation and implementation of special events.
- Identifies departmental needs and oversees equipment and supply inventories for the department.
- Investigates and respond to complaints by the public regarding conditions of the streets including curb and gutter, storm drainage, and public property.
- Will work indoors and outdoors.
- Attends meetings when requested by the Public Works Director or City Mayor and responds to emergencies as necessary, including those which occur outside of normal business hours. Participates in maintenance and repair work as operational needs demand.
- Performs related work as required and all other duties assigned.
Required Training, Experience, Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- An Associate’s Degree or the equivalent in a public works-related field.
- Knowledge of the equipment, materials, and approaches utilized in public works operations and related safety procedures.
- A valid Louisiana Driver’s license.
- Three or more years of progressively more responsible experience in public works, including supervisory and administrative duties.
- Knowledge of sanitation systems and the public health and safety regulations governing sanitation systems.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing, and in making presentations.
- Skill in compiling and evaluating data and formulating policy and recommendations.
- Skill in the use of standard office equipment, including computers and related software.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy in contentious or confrontational situations.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Ability to maintain discipline, lead, and command employees effectively under emergency conditions, and work effectively under stress and within deadlines and changing work conditions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness and maintain effective working relationships with the public, other professionals, City officials, administrators, and employees.
- Ability to effectively train, lead and motivate employees.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others in person and on the telephone. The employee frequently is required to view written documents and inspect the work of subordinate employees. If participating in a job the employee may be required to have the strength to lift or carry 50 pounds, mobility, and dexterity to operate equipment or access work sites.
Also, while performing duties of this job, the employee sometimes works in an office setting and in the field to inspect, work, and direct projects. The employee is sometimes exposed to moving mechanical parts, adverse weather conditions, and noise levels that range from quiet to loud.
SALARY RANGE AND BENEFITS
Competitive Salary and Benefits
Salary Range: 50K – 60K
Email: [email protected]
City of Grambling
127 King Street
Grambling, LA 71245
The Position is open until filled.
Please apply online at: https://forms.office.com/r/AJbfwwCfHJ
All positions require the completion of a Background Check. https://forms.office.com/r/utPWXCh7Bj
The City of Grambling expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of the City of Grambling’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change if goals and priorities shift.
Posted in Uncategorized